988 has been designated as the three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention & Mental Health Crisis Lifeline and increase the accessibility of the Lifeline for individuals beginning July 16, 2022. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, across the United States.
2‑1‑1 is a free telephone number providing access to local community services. 2‑1‑1 is available in multiple languages, allowing those in need to access information and obtain referrals to physical and mental health resources; housing, utility, food, and employment assistance; and suicide and crisis interventions.
When a caller dials 2-1-1, a local exchange carrier (LEC) routes the call to the authorized 2‑1‑1 provider in the caller’s county. The provider receives the call and connects the caller to the appropriate programs and agencies drawn from the provider’s database.
- 2-1-1 California
- California Alliance of Information and Referral Services (CAIRS)
- FCC page on 2-1-1
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Brain and Behavioral Research Foundation
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance - Find a support group
- Mental Health America
- Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health Services Oversight & Accountability Commission - MHSA Funded Services by County
- National Alliance on Mental Illness - Find Support
- National Council for Behavioral Health
- National Empowerment Center
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Talk to someone (800-273-8255)
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration
- Suicide Prevention and Resource Center
- Suicide.Org - California Suicide Hotlines. Suicide.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and website.
- The Trevor Project - A national 24-hour, toll-free confidential suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth. (866) 488-7386.